Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 2 in Team Bond

Today I got a lot of attention.  The kids were staring at me a lot, as I moved to the filing cabinet. I noticed that the kids were writing in cursive, so I decided to practice my handwriting and made a name tag.  
The kids are getting excited for the holidays, and Mrs. Bond was getting crafts ready for kids to make.  She showed the class 2 projects they were going to work on for the morning, but I will keep that hush, hush, as they will be giving these to family members.  I watched Mrs. Bond demonstrate the crafts, and I wished I could make them too!

They also talked about opinions and generated questions that would be good to ask to get the opinions of others.  They are going to be doing interviews at home soon.  One good question I liked was, "What day of the week do you like the best?"  I bet there would be a lot of interesting answers to that!  

They had a special visitor come in to help.  They called her Mrs. Richard.  She spent most of her time out of the room, but then she read a really cool book about a man named Henry Ford.  It was a creative story about how Henry Ford met Santa.  Mrs. Richard said that the elves making toys in an assembly line helped Henry Ford make cars the same way.  

Then they had that BA test that I was talking about.  The students worked very hard on their tests.  When they were done they worked on multiplication menorahs.  A menorah is the candle holder used to celebrate Hanukkah. Mrs. Bond had to leave for a doctor's appointment.  She had an issue with her ear...and she couldn't hear very well.  Hopefully the doctors can help her. 

There was a new lady that came in the classroom.  I saw her come in this morning then she was gone.  I guess she liked it here because she came back and stayed until the end of the day.  I bet she’s part of the team.  The kids all called her Mrs. Share.  I guess she likes to share a lot.  Cool Name!

I learned about energy transfer.  The new lady from Team Bond read from a very interesting book.  I liked the part about sound waves.  Did you even know that there are waves that travel through the air that you can’t see? The teacher said that waves were coming out of her mouth right to the students’ ears.  There are so many kinds of energy.  I was impressed to see how many of the students knew about these different kinds of energy.  Then the class used their creativity to create an example of an energy source and the transfer of energy it provided.


The Mrs. Share had the students stop their work to go to Media.  I wish I could have gone with them.    I really love books.  I heard some of the students asking if they were going to use the computers.  They seemed really excited about it.  In the room I made some new friends on the shelf where I was sitting while they were gone.


When everyone returned, they finished drawing examples of energy transfer.  The students glued some notes into their science spirals.  A boy named Johnny tried to help Mrs. Share find Mrs. Bond’s spiral.  He even checked under all of the tables, but no luck.  The students reviewed all the types of energy they had studied.
I could tell the day was coming to an end.  The students were trying to finish things up.  Some were writing an opinion paragraph, some were doing cursive, and one was over near the door writing on little pieces of paper and sticking them to the wall.  It was curious though, one girl in the pink top and a braid kept lying on the floor.  I’m wonder if this is a new learning technique I’ve never heard of before.  I’ll keep observing this to see if I can figure it out.


Then two blond girls, both with a purple top on, were staring at me.  I mean really staring at me.  I started to get a bit nervous, but I held my head high and let them look.  I guess they have never seen a learning elf before.  They had to go back to their seats as the teacher was winding up the day.


When the students were getting themselves organized to go home a boy showed up in front of me.  He has short blond hair and was wearing a gray jacket.  He was staring at me too.  But he did more than stare; he was trying to talk to me.  He was speaking so quietly and the room was kind of loud that I couldn't understand him.  I would be really cool if he could write me a note.  I like the two notes that Andrew and Alyse wrote.


Well, the children have gone home for the night.  I made friends with the moose who was sitting next to me.  He told me that the reason the room gets so cold at night is that the heat is turned down.  I was very cold last night.  The moose said I could sit with him to stay warm.


I really like it here in Team Bond.  I may just have to stay a while longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment