Monday, December 8, 2014

Week 2 Off and Running

Well, like Mrs. Bond, I did notice there were a lot of tired eyes this morning! Perhaps it was a busy, busy weekend for the Team Bond members, or it was the pesky full moon still making mischief in the lives of the children. The kids went right to Music and PE this morning, which I think helped.  They came back much more energetic...but in a good way!

Today in reading Mrs. Bond read from The Secret Zoo.  It is one of the highlights of my visits each year.  I love the way Bryan Chick brings the scene to life...just as if it was a movie! Today Mrs. Bond focused on the ways characters tackle problems. Noah, Ella, and Richie, characters in the book, made it to the City of Species inside the Secret Zoo, however Ella and Richie were being chased by police monkeys.  They ran into a sector, which ended up being just for birds.  It had a big cliff and the prairie dogs that were chasing after them ended up falling off the cliff. Noah handled it by calling to one of the birds Marlo for help, and Marlo was able to gather his friends to go and get the falling prairie dogs.  The kids had to focus on how their characters handled problems in their series chapter books.

In Math the kids were super engaged and super quiet.  It was like a whole different class.  Mrs. Bond had them practice finding perimeter, and they were able to use Minecraft and Build With Chrome.  They were able to construct walls and buildings and then find the perimeter.  They also did a small assessment with Mrs. Bond.  Minecraft is a neat app!  Mrs. Bond shared a Math World she has on her iPad.  The students were able to pass around her iPad to add to the Math World.  The land that they were building on looked a lot like the North Pole.  It is a frozen tundra!

I could tell listening was still a bit of an issue today during the Social Studies BA.  Mrs. Bond modeled it and discussed what the kids had to do for their test...she even asked a couple times, "Are there any questions?"  I kept watching child after child turn in their test, only to find out they did not follow the directions. I hope the students will be able to focus on the oral directions and written directions, as I know it is a very important skill for life!

The craziest thing happened today after school.  A boy stopped in for some extra work, and he turned it back in.  While they were talking, I leaned in to read some of the Great Gator slips that were below me.  I can't believe it, I actually dove right into the bucket.  Mrs. Bond and the little boy looked right at me, and they couldn't believe it themselves! Mrs. Bond said it is the first time she had seen me move...and she is right. Today, I blew it a bit.  Then, I had to stay there, head-first, in the bucket.  I  can only imagine my muscles are going to be sore tomorrow! The good thing is, I was able to get a closer look into the great things about Team Bond.  There's a teacher named Mr. Vogt that gives a lot of Greater Gators.

Well, hopefully I will be able to stay still tomorrow! I am going to try and get a good view point, as the kids are doing the Hour of Code tomorrow.  It involves computers and sounds very interesting.  Today the kids watched a video from President Obama talking about it. I searched on You Tube and found it...and I found a picture Mrs. Bond took of me nose diving into the bucket.  I'll add it below too!


Thanks Mrs. Bond!  This was not one of my finer moments!





No comments:

Post a Comment